Melton Mowbray pork pie wins British Pie Awards
The Dickinson & Morris Melton Mowbray Pork Pie made by Walkers Charnwood Bakery has taken the supreme champion title at the British Pie Awards.
The PGI-protected pie, which was described by the judges as “outstanding”, took the top accolade against 897 pies at the ninth annual British Pie Awards.
Head judge Ian Nelson from Hovis and deputy head judge Steve Barnes, from Slattery’s in Bury, had the responsibility of picking this year’s champion from the 21 class winners.
Commenting on the winning pie, Nelson said: “It’s an outstanding pie: a good even bake with wonderfully crisp pastry and a beautifully seasoned, perfectly balanced filling – we just wanted to keep eating it!”
The awards, held during British Pie Week, received entries from a record 154 producers from across the country.
Nearly 900 pies, including over 200 beef or steak pies, 90 pork pies, 137 chicken pies and 46 pasties, were judged by more than 100 judges.
Matthew O’Callaghan, chairman of the British Pie Awards, said: “The calibre of entries this year was outstanding. The recipe innovation was remarkable, reinventing the British classic with an innovative variety of filling combinations, spices and sauces.”
Full list of winners:
- Supreme champion: Dickinson & Morris Melton Mowbray Pork Pie by Walkers Charnwood Bakery
- Small Producer: Chicken Pie by Ben’s Kitchen
- Champion Melton Mowbray Pork Pie: Dickinson & Morris Melton Mowbray Pork Pie by Walkers Charnwood Bakery
- Champion Pork Pie: Walkers Fluted Pork Pie 440g by Walker & Son
- Champion Steak & Kidney Pie: Steak & Kidney Pie by Jon Thorner Ltd
- Champion Beef & Any Flavour Pie: Beef in Red Wine with Roasted Marrow Bone Nice Pie
- Champion Beef & Ale Pie: Walkers Steak & Ale Pie by Walker & Son
- Champion Beef & Cheese Pie: Steak & Stilton Pie by Camilleri Kitchen Ltd
- Champion Meat & Potato Pie: Meat & Potato Pie by Robert Bowring Farmers & Butchers
- Champion Lamb Pie: Shredded Lamb Ragu Pie by John Lawsons Butchers
- Champion Chicken Pie: Chicken Pie by Ben’s Kitchen
- Champion Chicken & Vegetable/Herb Pie: Chicken & Black Garlic Pie by Nice Pie
- Champion Chicken & Other Meat Pie: Chicken, Gammon & Mushroom Pie by Nice Pie
- Champion Speciality Meat & Game Pie: Mixed Game Pie with a Thyme Suet Crust by The Pie Life
- Champion Savoury Pie: Morrisons Pork, Chicken & Ham 3lb Deli Pie by Walker & Son
- Champion Fish Pie: Marks and Spencer Cod & Minted Pea Pie by Yorkshire Baker
- Champion Vegetarian Pie: Sweet Potato, Fennel & Goat’s Cheese Pie by MyPie
- Champion Pasty: Creamy Chicken with Cranberry & Walnut Pasty by Cossack Cuisine
- Champion Dessert Pie including Bramley Apple: Traditional Bramley Apple Pie by Boghall Butchers
- Champion Pub Pie: Gammon & Mushy Pea Pie by Dunkleys Ltd
- Champion Sports Pie: Highland Top Rump & Dark Ale Pie by Turners Pies
- Champion Free-From Pie: Gluten-Free Bramley Apple Pie by The Rutland Pie Co
- Champion Regional Pie: Chicken & Sausage Meat Pudding Pie by Great Walsingham Barn Cafe
Want more stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up for our FREE email newsletter
- British Pie Awards
- bakery news
- The Dickinson & Morris Melton Mowbray Pork Pie
- Walkers Charnwood Bakery