The Worshipful Company of Bakers is seeking applications for its 2020 bursary awards.
Recipients will enrol in the overseas summer course that takes place at the internationally renowned Richemont School in Lucerne, Switzerland between Sunday 26 July and Friday 31 July 2020.
The course is designed to enhance the skills and knowledge of students who are already at a fairly advanced level of their bakery education.
To be eligible for the course, students must meet the following criteria:
- Be available to travel on the dates specified above
- Be 20 years or older at the time of travel
- Hold a valid passport that will not expire before 31 January 2021; and any visa documentation (if needed)
- Have three years of bakery education in a university or college; or the equivalent level of apprenticeship or industry training
- Be able to demonstrate by portfolio that you have at least one year of experience in commercial bakery – i.e. part-time jobs, work placements, internships, etc.
As part of the application process, tutors and employers will be asked to submit a supporting reference for the application, and applicants will be required for interview as part of the selection process. Students will be notified on 4 January 2020 if they have been selected for interview and the interviews will be conducted regionally in late January/early February 2020.
The costs of travel to and from Lucerne, meals, accommodation and your tuition fees will be covered by the bursary.
The Worshipful Company of Bakers is also offering a further course at the Bakels Innovation Centre in Bicester, Oxfordshire. This course will include hands-on work, demonstrations and a team competition to test your innovative skills. Costs of accommodation, tuition and meals are included in this offer.
The entry criteria is:
- Be over 18 years of age at the time of the course
- Be available to attend on the dates stated above
- Have completed at least one year of full-time bakery education, or the equivalent of a recognised training course or apprenticeship
- Be able to demonstrate by portfolio that you have had some experience of working in a commercial bakery, e.g. part-time work, placement, work experience, internship, etc. The portfolio should be a maximum of six pages long, and submitted electronically with the application form.
Applications open on 7 October and can be made up until 13 December 2019 via the Worshipful Company of Bakers’ website.