This summer Britain has a beautiful rich strawberry crop and right now is the best time to eat them. These little cakes can be made in any size, either bite-sized as in this recipe or larger like a cupcake turned inside-out. The strawberry perfectly complements the rich cocoa, red velvet and cream cheese, so encourage your customers to eat them in one bite to enjoy the flavours all together. This recipe is perfect for picnics or as canapés.
Mini Strawberry Red Velvet Bites
Bakes one sheet in a gastro tray
Makes approx 30
Red food colour (liquid)6 tbsp
Marriages or other good plain flour670g
Pinch of salt
Baking soda2 tsp
Cider vinegar2 tsp
Strawberries, cut in half1 punnet
1. Beat butter and sugar until very light (approx 5 mins).
2. Beat in the eggs one at a time until just incorporated.
3. Add food colouring, salt and cocoa to the mixture and beat to incorporate until smooth.
4. Add the flour to the mixture in two parts, on low speed, alternating with the buttermilk begin and end with the flour.
5. Add the vinegar to the baking soda it will fizz up and mix until all combined. Then add to the batter and fold in gently but thoroughly. Leave to stand for 3 mins.
6. Scrape into a greased, lined gastro tray and bake at 180C for 20 minutes or until done.
7. Cool completely and cut out rounds from the sheet with a 1.5-inch cutter.
A drop or two of vanilla essence
A dab of pink food gel colour (optional)
1. Beat the softened butter, add the cream cheese and blend together until smooth.
2. Add the vanilla and beat in the icing sugar gradually, until you get the right consistency.
Pipe frosting between two rounds to stick them together, then pipe another dab on top and top with the halved strawberries and a pinch of desiccated coconut.