Two hospitalised after Fox’s factory fire

Two people were taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation after a fire at the Fox’s biscuit factory in Uttoxeter.

The blaze broke out in the middle of the afternoon on 5 December, and two ambulances, a paramedic and paramedic officer attended the scene.  

Two engineers were taken to nearby Burton’s Queen’s Hospital after breathing in smoke. The patients’ condition is not thought to be life-threatening.

A spokesman for 2 Sisters group, which owns Fox’s, told British Baker: “There was a fire in an oven and the site was evacuated safely. Two engineers suffered smoke inhalation and were sent to hospital as a precautionary measure.

“The rest of the workforce have returned to the site to continue production. It’s too early to be sure of the full extent of the damage caused by the fire – that’s still being evaluated and assessed. The important thing is it has been evacuated safely. Staff have returned to production, apart from on the affected line.”

The spokesman was not able to confirm on which line the fire occurred.

In October 2 Sisters, which also owns Holland’s Pies, pledged to provide young unemployed people with practical skills “that will help them find the right job”.

Want more stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up for our FREE email newsletter

Keywords:

My Account

Spotlight

Most read

Social