The Baking Industry Awards are the culmination of months of judging, with tastings, store visits and interviews.
Judges for the 2018 awards are already travelling up and down the country, covering thousands of miles to determine the worthy winners.
“The Baking Industry Awards is an inspiring event and highlights the passion, creativity and care that shapes this fantastic industry,” said British Baker editor Vince Bamford.
“I would like to thank everyone involved in making the awards possible: our sponsors, our expert judges and, of course, the brilliant bakers and businesses we are delighted to be able to honour with this event.”
The same exhaustive process was used to select the 11 category winners in the 2017 Baking Industry Award. Here a few winners say what winning has meant to them:
“Winning has given me a real sense of achievement and it has been a big confidence booster. Even if you’re a runner-up, attending the awards night is amazing.”
Katie-Joy Woods, winner of BIA 2017 Customer Focus Award.
“The award is recognised by others in the industry who do the same job, so it’s very special. It’s a wonderful accolade to have.”
Carol Tang of Terry Tang Designer Cakes, winner of Celebration Cake of the Year 2017
“I was only making the Church Street Sour on a Friday, but now I make it three times a week. Winning the award helped create more awareness of the bread, so now it’s an everyday bread for us.”
Paul Barker, creator of Church Street Sour, Speciality Bread Product of the Year 2017
To find out more about each of last year’s winners, click on each name below to see a profile of them and the finalists in each category.
- Baker of the Year – David Wright, The Cake Shop Bakery
- Bakery Manufacturer of the Year – Macphie
- Celebration Cake Business of the Year – Terry Tang Designer Cakes
- Free-From Bakery Product of the Year – Too Good To Be Gluten Free Pork Pie, Addo Food Group
- Outstanding Contribution to the Baking Industry – Dawn Gemmell
- Speciality Bread Product of the Year – Church Street Sour, Cinnamon Square
- Supermarket Bakery Business of the Year – Tesco
- The Bakery Innovation Award – M&S Ultimate Five Grain Crumpets, Village Bakery
- The Craft Business Award – Bachmanns
- The Customer Focus Award – Campden BRI, Katie-Joy Woods
- The Rising Star Award – Jessica Dalton