Lee Smith of Bexhill Farm Kitchen and Poppy Seed Bakery in East Sussex has been declared overall winner of the Tiptree World Bread Awards with Brook Food.
Smith took a trio of trophies at the awards – which were presented last night (17 October) at St John’s Church, Hyde Park – winning the Great British White and Sourdough categories, and coming runner-up in the Malt Bread category.
The awards ceremony was hosted by Stephen Hallam, managing director of Dickinson & Morris and chair of the award judges.
“The field was more competitive than ever,” said Hallam, whose 86 fellow judges included food critic Charles Campion, Dr John Foster of BBC’s Victorian Bakers and Andrew Whitley, founder of The Real Bread Campaign.
Tiptree World Bread Awards with Brook Food winners
- Overall Winner 2017: Lee Smith, White Tin
- KitchenAid Young Baker (Under 12 Years): Lola Willingham, Cinnamon Wasp Nests
- KitchenAid Young Baker (12-17 Years): Georgi Pilz, Aromatic Herb Bread
- Home Baker Open: Adam Keightley, Braided Brioche
- Home Baker Sourdough: Lillian Clervi, Four Seed Sourdough
- Wholegrain: Mark Bennett, Malted Five Seed Sourdough
- Ciabatta: Dominic Salter, Stroud Wild
- Gluten Free: Davina Steel, Parmesan and Tomato Foccacia
- Muntons Malt Bread: Glenn Stephens, Malt Loaf
- Carr’s Flour Baguette: Richard Copsey, Multiseed Baguette
- Great British White: Lee Smith, White Tin
- Fruit Bread: The Bread Factory, Apricot & Hazelnut
- Flatbread: Khaled Galal, Egyptian Sourdough Semi-flat Bread
- Speciality Savoury: Gary Reeve, Olive and Emmental Sourdough bread sticks
- Speciality Sweet: Mark Bennett, Christmas Sourdough Twist
- Brook Food Sourdough: Lee Smith, Sourdough
- Real Bread Campaign (sponsored by Shipton Mill): Khaled Galal, Egyptian Sourdough Semi-flat Bread
- Irish Wheaten Loaf: Tom Mullin, Ballycastle Wheaten
- Tiptree Patisserie Trainee Baker: Jessica Dalton
- People’s Choice: Mayfield Farm Bakery
- Tiptree Showstopper: Tami Isaacs-Pearce, Orange Blossom Tree of Life