When making meringues, it is very important that all your equipment (bowls, mixers, spatulas, spoons) are completely clean, since the slightest trace of grease can ruin the outcome. Rub equipment with lemon juice, then rinse and dry completely to remove all traces of fat.
Makes approximately 20
Large egg whites (room temperature)3
Pinch of salt
Superfine (caster) sugar140g
Divine or other good cocoa1 tbsp
Divine or other good dark chocolate (min 70% cocoa solids)200g
Shelled pistachios (rough chop or pulse in a food processoruntil in small chunks but not powder)100g
1. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites, lemon juice and salt until fluffy, starting on a low speed and gradually increasing until soft peaks form. Slowly beat in the sugar 2tbsp at a time and continue beating on a high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold in the cocoa.
2. Pipe or spoon the meringue on to two lined baking trays to form little ’pyramids’.
3. Bake for 1 hour at 100C or until set, then turn off the oven and leave the meringue inside to dry for another hour.
4. Melt the chocolate in a metal bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
5. Finally, remove from the heat and carefully dip the bottom of each meringue in the chocolate. Allow any excess to drip off and then dip the chocolate coated part in the chopped pistachios.