Date: Wednesday 30th March 2011
Venue: Leatherhead Food Research, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 7RY
>> location and map for Leatherhead Food Research
What are the technical, cost, time and resourcing issues facing bakers tasked with reducing sat fats?
In 2009 British Baker organised a meeting between craft bakers, manufacturers, fats and oils suppliers and the Food Standards Agency (FSA), to give voice to the technical challenges in meeting proposed saturated fat reduction targets. Eighteen months on and a new government is in place, the regulatory landscape has changed, and the FSA’s nutritional role has shifted to the Department of Health.
This follow-up meeting will draw key retail and manufacturing professionals in the bakery industry together to explore how the sat fat reduction agenda is developing. Following the meeting, British Baker will present the industry’s views to the Department of Health to help its food reformulation programme.
- How difficult is it to reduce saturated fat without compromising the quality of your products?
- What % reductions should be targeted?
- Is a blanket approach feasible?
- Should certain treat products such as indulgent cakes and butter pastries be exempt from the process?
- What if the baker also offers a healthy alternative?
- What are the differing challenges facing large and small suppliers and brands?
- Do credible fats, oils and ingredients alternatives exist in the marketplace?
- Given labelling restraints, what are the marketing incentives for brands to reduce saturated fat?
- Is sat fat reformulation the right strategy to tackle obesity and nutrition issues?
- What is a credible timescale to achieve sat fat reductions in light of resourcing and cost constraints?
09.00-09.30 Registration and coffee
09.45-09.50 Welcome, Sylvia Macdonald, editor, British Baker
0950-10.00 Introduction, chairman, Geoff Talbot, ‘The Fat Consultant’
10.10-11.00 Discussion (includes coffee)
12:30-14:00 Networking Lunch
Reserve your free place today!
To reserve your FREE place call:
Tel: 01293 610433
Spaces are strictly limited to manufacturers and retailers only and will be allocated on a first come first served basis. (Suppliers may attend only if sponsoring the event).