Lathams craft bakery in Southport, Lancashire, has been involved in National Doughnut Week, which this year runs from May 6 to 13, since the outset.
Here, Chris Latham describes what his bakery gets up to during the week in order to raise money for The Children’s Trust charity – and drum up business in its four shops.
“National Doughnut Week is always great fun and we never fail to see a huge boost in sales, both of doughnuts and other products. We always try to come up with a new and different doughnut every year – a limited-edition doughnut if you like – to sell during the week.
“Last year, we created new varieties with chocolate and orange, rhubarb and custard, and toffee and apple – which proved to be huge sellers.
“It was particularly rewarding to see all our staff getting so involved. Everyone would ask every single customer to buy a doughnut for charity – and the response was overwhelming.
“The Children’s Trust is such a deserving cause – and it’s great for UK bakers to be able to help local children throughout the UK and really make a difference to their lives.
Lathams was founded in 1967 and has remained a family business. The company now employs 50 staff across four bakery shops in Southport, Lancashire.
• Top tip: Contact your local newspaper, tell them the dates of National Doughnut Week, what you are planning to do and emphasise that it is a fundraising event. Invite a journalist and photo-grapher along.
• It’s not too late! To register for National Doughnut week, email Christopher Freeman now at Dunns Bakery on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8340 1614 or 07776 480032.
LOOK WHO’S REGISTERED!
– A&E White bakers, Barnsley, Yorkshire
– Stephen’s bakery, Dumferline, Fife
– Argo’s Bakery, Stromness, Orkney
– Victoria Bakery, Barnet, Herts
– WC Rowe, Falmouth, Cornwall
– P&A Davies, Chester, Cheshire