ID cards can now be provided as proof of the right to work in the UK. Before an employee starts work, you must ask them for documentary evidence of their right to work in the UK. Employers who cannot prove that they have done this – for example, by keeping copies – risk a fine under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006.

Under the Immigration
(Restrictions on Employment)
Order 2007, documents are
divided into two lists: ‘A’ and ‘B’. Those in List A show that an individual is entitled to work in the UK. If they are not subject to any immigration controls or restrictions, they should be able to produce a document (or specified combination) from that category. But if they have restrictions imposed on them, they will also need to produce one, or more, documents from List B.
To qualify, the ID Card will need to have been issued under the Identity Cards Act 2006. This means it must show that the holder is either:
1. a British Citizen
2. a citizen of the UK and
Colonies, having the right to live in the UK; or
3. a national of the EEA or
Finally, remember that if you accept an ID Card, you must photocopy both sides and retain these. It is not enough to copy just the front.
• For a free copy of our ‘Offer of Appointment Letter’ contact the NAMB on 01920 468061