One of Scotland’s oldest bakeries is expanding after relocating to more modern premises last weekend.
Oliphant’s Bakery, which dates back to 1856, left its old premises at Whitecross, Falkirk on Saturday 7 June and had production up and running at the new site in Bankside, in Falkirk by the Sunday night shift.
Owner Alice Gibson explained the bakery was moved to make way for a multi-million-pound redevelopment. All of the bakery’s 40-strong staff were happy to make the change.
Gibson told British Baker: “We’re delighted. Where we were was like a ghost town as all the businesses moved out. We had two or three break-ins. Now we can see people around us, this is a nice area.”
The wholesale and retail business has added a fifth shop, alongside the new bakery.