Tim Kinnaird of Macarons and More, shows British Baker how to maximise their profits on Valentine’s Day with Rose Macarons.
For more information on Macarons and More, visit: www.macaronsandmore.com
Music: Wheels by Jason Shaw (Creative Commons licence)
YouTube link: http://youtu.be/vndmhZwgr8E
RECIPE: Rose Macarons (makes approx 30 macarons)
200g ground almonds
200g caster sugar
200g icing sugar
145g liquid egg whites
10ml pink colouring
200g unsalted butter at room temperature
200g icing sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 150˚C
2. Mix 75g of the egg white with the almonds, icing sugar and colouring. Mix until smooth and all ingredients incorporated.
3. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment or silicon mat.
4. Put the remaining egg whites in a bowl of freestanding mixer. Heat the caster sugar and water in a pan until 115˚C. Start whisking the egg whites on a slow speed.
5. When the sugar syrup reaches 118˚C, pour gently onto the whisking egg whites. Increase the speed of the whisking and continue until thick meringue with stiff peaks – but still warm – approx 50˚C
6. Fold meringue into the almond and sugar mixture, then beat slightly until it’s the consistency of lava.
7. Pipe 3.5cm circles of batter onto baking parchment.
8. Place in oven and turn heat off for 4 mins. After 4 mins turn heat back up to 150˚C for 8-9mins
9. Remove from oven and leave to cool for 30 mins off the tray.
10. Beat the butter and icing sugar together and thin the mix with milk until smooth. Add rose water to taste
11. Sandwich two shells together with the buttercream
12. Place in the fridge for 24 hours before eating.
13. Bring them back up to room temperature before eating.