Kilmarnock business Brownings the Bakers has been crowned Scottish Baker of the Year 2018 at the annual awards ceremony hosted in Glasgow by trade association Scottish Bakers.
The bakery also won a host of other awards at this weekend’s event, including:
- Wholesale Baker of the Year
- Regional Gold in the Individual Cake Priced Over 80p category for its Gin and Tonic cupcake
- National Bronze and Regional Gold awards In the Morning Roll category
- Best Savoury in the Borders and Lowlands and National Gold for its steak and ale pie
- A member of the bakery’s team, Tommy Withers, was awarded the Unsung Hero accolade.
“We are a family business and everyone at Brownings works hard so we really deserve this win,” said managing director John Gall.
“We have a fantastic business and we take it very seriously using traditional methods and craft skills to deliver quality every time. But we could not have come this far in the competition without the votes of all of our customers, thank you.”
Celebrated cake designer Mich Turner, who presented Gall with the award, said: “I have known John for many years and I know full well what this prize will mean to him and his whole team in Kilmarnock. It’s a huge well done from me, John, and I know you will thoroughly enjoy your year as Scottish Baker of the Year.”
The awards ceremony was the culmination of a process that included more than 22,000 votes being cast for customers’ favourite bakery products, and more than 850 products being judged by a panel of 50 expert and independent judges.