For various reasons, the idea of onion bread sometimes frightens consumers. But with Onion & Butter Bread, the butter reduces the impact of the onion.
Blending with butter will slightly decrease the onion-ey taste and will also considerably enhance the bread’s shelf-life.
The method I propose will also give some crispness to the bread and it’s very easy to follow.
Recipe Ingredients Amount
Strong white flour 1,000g
Water 520-550ml (according to the flour’s absorption)
Sliced onions 120g
1. Using a planetary mixer, mix together the flour, salt, yeast and water for 3 minutes on 1st speed and 7 minutes on 2nd speed. Then add the onions and mix again 3 minutes on 1st speed.
2. Leave the dough to rest for 30 minutes in a fridge.
3. With the pastry brake, pin the dough down to number 10 and give two single turns with the butter.
4. Leave the dough to rest for 20 minutes at ambient temperature.
5. Divide the dough: 450g for tin bread and 170g for sandwich bread and shape it 15 minutes later.
6. Prove and bake as per usual.
Onion & butter bread can be a very tasty and original sandwich carrier when baked in a tin shape.