Jack Williamson, aged 92, died recently after a short illness, writes his daughter Pat Harwood. Jack was well-known, firstly in Thames Ditton where he bought his first bakery, originally called Taylors.
Jack opened his business just after the war, when ingredients were in short supply – at a time when a tray of jam tarts on display would disappear in five minutes. The business grew to three shops, including one in Ewell and one in Hook. By this time, the coupon books had been thrown away and he was able to produce more exciting pastries, which he learned to make at the Westminster School for Bakers and Confectioners.
In 1958, Jack and his wife Ruby bought a business in Streatham Hill, called Rosels. On his retirement, he lived in Storrington for two years, but then bought a small shop in Middleton-on-Sea.
After his wife’s death, he lived at St Nicolas Court in sheltered accommodation, but still enjoyed baking cakes for the residents there.