In the second of our special macadamia bread recipes, devised by three UK artisan bakers in association with The South African Growers’ Association, this Spelt, Honey and Macadamia Bread was created by Paul Merry of Panary.
For 8 small loaves, weighed @ 500g each
Spelt wholemeal 2kg
Cool water 1,200ml
Fresh yeast 40g
Macadamia nuts 700g
Vegetable oil 30ml
1. Mix the cool water, fresh yeast and honey together in a bowl.
2. Add the spelt flour and salt and begin kneading. Towards the end of the kneading add the vegetable oil.
3. When the oil is properly incorporated, gently add the macadamia nuts.
4. Bulk prove for approximately 1 hour in a prover or a warm, draught-free place.
5. While the dough is slightly under-fermented, scale it at 450-500g, depending on the tin size. Cover and give them a short time on a floured board.
6. To mould for the tin: flatten, fold the ends over each other in the centre and then roll up for the tin. Final proof for approximately 45 minutes.
7. Bake in an oven that is duller than hot - because of the darkening from the honey - at 200-215°C for 25 minutes.