Perthshire-based business James Pirie & Son has won The World Championship Scotch Pie Awards for the second time.
Organised by Scottish Bakers, the 2020 awards attracted entries from more than 75 professional pie-makers across 11 categories, including sausage rolls, macaroni pies, haggis savouries and apple pies. Winners were announced in each category (see full list below).
Alan Pirie, of butcher James Pirie & Son, said he was speechless when he heard his business had won the top award at the 21st annual event, which took place in Cumbernauld yesterday (14 January).
“To have once again been given the ultimate accolade in our profession is just excellent. I am so proud of what we make from scratch every day and it so often goes without recognition. Today is proof that all our hard work is worth it. I am really looking forward to the year ahead and to selling more of our champion pies than ever,” Pirie said.
James Pirie & Son was also crowned World Scotch Pie champion in 2018, making the business just one of four to achieve the accolade twice. The other companies are: Thos Auld & Sons from Greenock (winner: 2001 and 2002), Boghall Butchers from Boghall (winner: 2005 and 2009) and The Kandy Bar from Saltcoats (winner: 2014 and 2016).
The awards were hosted by TV presenter Carol Smillie, who has been presenting them since 2016.
“For 21 years now, professional pie-makers throughout Scotland, and from even further afield, have been so proud of their produce that they have taken the time and trouble to enter The World Championship Scotch Pie Awards,” said head judge Ian Nelson. “And I must say that the standard keeps getting better each year. All our winners deserve the accolades they have taken home today.”
The 11 category winners are:
- Scotch pie – scotch pie by James Pirie & Son, Newtyle, Blairgowrie
- Football pie or savoury – fish pie by Bruce of the Broch, Fraserburgh
- Apple pie – apple tart by Brownings the Bakers, Kilmarnock
- Bridie – mince bridie by Scott Brothers, Dundee
- Vegetarian savoury – sweet potato & lentil korma vegan pie by Brownings the Bakers, Kilmarnock
- Cold savoury – pork & haggis pie by Dales Traditional Butchers, Kirkby Lonsdale
- Steak pie – steak pie by Trossachs Pie & Pastry Co, Doune
- Sausage roll – sausage roll by Tom Courts Quality Foods, Burntisland
- Macaroni pie – macaroni pie by Bert Fowlie Butcher, Strichen, Aberdeenshire
- Haggis savoury – Scotch & haggis pie by Dales Traditional Butchers, Kirkby, Lonsdale
- Hot savoury – premium chicken & ham hough pie by Hugh Black & Sons, Bathgate