Avocado meat replaces butter as the fat in this frosting. The cake is rich and moist with a hint of espresso.
The frosting balances perfectly with it sweet with a hint of citrus and a definite avocado flavour. When topped with toasted walnut and dark chocolate shavings, this cake has a beautiful, slightly unusual flavour and texture and is rich in healthy fats.
For the Chocolate Cake
Large egg (room temperature)1
Vanilla extract½ tsp
Marriages Plain Organic flour105g
Baking soda¼ tsp
Strong espresso (cooled)¼ cup
Fresh ground coffee (optional)½ tsp
Dark chocolate shavings
1. Sift all the dry ingredients together (flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt) and set aside.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until very light and fluffy around 5 minutes with an electric mixer. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until thoroughly incorporated.
3. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the sour cream. Then slowly add the cooled coffee and espresso powder (if you’re using it).
4. Use an ice cream scoop to transfer to a lined baking pan, filling the cups ¾ full.
5. Bake in the middle rack of a 180C oven for 15 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
6. When the cupcakes are cooled completely, top with a spoon of the avocado frosting (recipe below), a toasted walnut and some dark chocolate shavings.
For the avocado frosting
Flesh of 2 large very ripe avocados or 4 medium avocados use the ripest you can find, and cut out any brown bits if necessary
Confectioner’s (icing) sugar 190g
Lemon juice1½ tsp
1. Beat the avocado in a mixer with the lemon juice until you achieve a smooth consistency, beating out all the lumps.
2. Slowly blend in the icing sugar, increasing the speed of the mixer as you go. Add more sugar if needed to achieve a consistency and taste that you like.
l For more creative cake ideas, recipes and baking tips visit lily-vanilli.blogspot.com