The great and the good of the UK bakery world gathered at the London Hilton on Park Lane last night (6 September) for the biggest hoedown this ol’ industry has to offer.
The 2017 Baking Industry Awards brought together hundreds of the biggest guns in British bakery, in a glittering Wild West-themed ceremony, to recognise and applaud the people, products and businesses that have helped make the industry so great.
West End and TV star Denise van Outen hosted the event and, with a little help from representatives of our category sponsors, presented the winners with their awards across 11 categories.
The event was the culmination of months of judging, with tastings, store visits and interviews taking place across the country to determine the worthy winners.
“The Baking Industry Awards is a truly inspiring event and highlights the passion, creativity and care that shapes this fantastic industry,” said British Baker editor Vince Bamford.
“I would like to thank everyone involved in making the awards possible: our sponsors, our expert judges and, of course, the brilliant bakers and businesses we are delighted to be able to honour with this event.”
See below for a list of the 11 category winners – click on each one to see a profile of the winner and the finalists in each category.
- Baker of the Year – David Wright, The Cake Shop Bakery
- Bakery Manufacturer of the Year – Macphie
- Celebration Cake Business of the Year – Terry Tang Designer Cakes
- Free-From Bakery Product of the Year – Too Good To Be Gluten Free Pork Pie, Addo Food Group
- Outstanding Contribution to the Baking Industry – Dawn Gemmell
- Speciality Bread Product of the Year – Church Street Sour, Cinnamon Square
- Supermarket Bakery Business of the Year – Tesco
- The Bakery Innovation Award – M&S Ultimate Five Grain Crumpets, Village Bakery
- The Craft Business Award – Bachmanns
- The Customer Focus Award – Campden BRI, Katie-Joy Woods
- The Rising Star Award – Jessica Dalton
Click on each category to read a profile of every winner and finalist.