Blaze at McVitie’s factory contained

Around 100 workers were reportedly evacuated from United Biscuit’s Mcvitie’s Stockport factory, after some digestives caught fire.

Staff at the factory in Manchester, had to remove themselves from the building at around 22:00 Monday night (15 December).

According to the Manchester Evening News, a conveyer belt on a machine snapped, which resulted in biscuits being unable to more through and starting a blaze.

Nick Hince, watch manager at Whitehill fire station, told the paper: “The fire was extinguished by staff, who have very well-rehearsed safety procedures.”

A spokesperson at United Biscuits told British Baker:  “We can confirm that there was a small fire at our Stockport factory earlier today. Staff followed safety procedures and all necessary precautionary measures were taken. The incident was promptly dealt with and caused minimal disruption at the site".

Want more stories like this in your inbox?

Sign up for our FREE email newsletter

Keywords:

My Account

Spotlight

Most read

Social