A wholemeal sourdough loaf produced by the Poppyseed Bakery in East Sussex has been declared Britain’s Best Loaf 2019.
Poppyseed Bakery founder Lee Smith (pictured), who has won the Best Loaf accolade a number of times in the past, collected the award at the Farm Shop & Deli Show at Birmingham’s NEC this afternoon (8 April).
It was chosen as the standout winner from the award’s five categories: White, Sourdough, Innovation, Wholegrain and Gluten Free.
Sponsored by Craggs & Co, the awards this year attracted around 150 entries.
The panel of expert judges included 2018 Baking Industry Awards winners Jessica Smithson (Rising Star), Paul Barker (Bakery Innovation) and Alex Gooch (Speciality Bread Product), plus industry veterans such as Craft Bakers Association chairman Colin Lomax and former Association for Bakery Students and Trainees president Neil Woods.
This year’s full winners’ line-up is:
- Winner: Incredible Cinnamon & Raisin Boule, Incredible Bakery Company, Kettering, Northamptonshire
- Highly commended: Keto Country Loaf, Petlau Bakery, Lawshall, Suffolk
- Winner: Pappa-G’s Taste of India, The Danish Bakery, Cardiff
- Highly commended: Beer Bread, with Locally Sourced Beer, Gadsby’s Bakery, Southwell
- Winner: Wholemeal sourdough, Poppyseed Bakery, Bexhill-on-sea, East Sussex
- Highly commended: Sussex White Sourdough, Foodhaven Ltd, Newhaven, East Sussex
- Winner: City Loaf, Bishopston Bakery Co, Bristol
- Highly commended: White tin, Poppyseed Bakery, Bexhill-on-sea, East Sussex
- Winner: Spelt and Sunflower Seeds Sourdough, The Baking Room, Goole, East Riding of Yorkshire
- Highly commended: Fruit Sour, Paul Rhodes Bakery, Greenwich, London