We are delighted to give Britain’s bakers one more week to enter the Christmas Stars competition.
Any professional baker or bakery retailer now has until Monday 17 September 2018 to enter their products in one of seven different categories, and gain the chance to use a Winner or Highly Commended logo on all marketing material and on packs.
Whether you have one shop or hundreds, if you supply the major retailers or operate your own shop, winning a Christmas Star award will be a seal of approval for your business.
Industry experts judge and score the products on key criteria, including appearance, taste, aroma and value. Products are judged ‘blind’, with judges unaware of the identity of the manufacturer/retailer at the tasting stage.
The seven Christmas Star categories are:
Christmas Cakes, Pastries & Tarts
- Christmas Cake – must be no larger than 12 inches in diameter. It must contain a mix of dried fruit and almonds and can be decorated in any way.
- Cake Bar – Can be a bar that is sold individually or in a multi-pack. Can include any ingredient, but must have a festive feel or packaging. Can be a traybake.
- Festive Cake or Pudding – (but not a traditional Christmas Pudding) of any size and featuring any ingredients or baking technique. However, the product must only be available for sale over the festive period.
- This yeasted cake must contain almonds and a mix of dried fruit. It can be of any size or shape.
- Traditional Christmas Pudding – must be no larger than 7 inches in diameter. It must contain a mix of dried fruit and some kind of alcoholic beverage and can be decorated in any way.
Festive Biscuits (Sweet & Savoury) including Gingerbread
- Christmas Biscuit Selection – Must include at least 12 biscuits and have a combination of chocolate and plain. It must be sold as a selection especially for Christmas.
- Savoury Biscuit – can include biscuits all of the same type or a varied selection.
- Christmas Gingerbread – Can be an individual gingerbread or a pack of no more than 12. Gingerbread can be decorated in any way.
Festive Bread including Panettone
- Festive Bread – Can be any type of bread (white, brown, wholemeal, sourdough, rye, etc) but must only be available for sale over the Christmas period. Up to 800g in weight.
- Panettone – This sweet Italian bread must include vanilla, citrus and candied fruit. It can be of any size or shape.
Free-from Christmas Bakery
- This can be any festive-themed product that fits into one of the above categories, but must be free from at least one major allergen, in compliance with food labelling regulations. Follow the above criteria depending on the product you are entering (e.g. – an entry of free-from mince pies must consist of six pies).
Mince Pies (sponsored by Flemings Zeelandia)
- Entries must consist of six mince pies that contain mincemeat. Entrants can use any kind of pastry and the pies can be of any shape or size.
The British Baker Christmas Stars winners will be announced in a web broadcast in October – in time for you to ramp up your Christmas marketing activity.
Entry fees are £99 per product for small/medium bakery businesses; and £299 per product for large bakery businesses (75-plus employees).
How to enter
Our online process makes entering the British Baker Christmas Stars quick and easy. The deadline for entries is 17 September 2018 – enter now at www.bakerychristmasstars.co.uk