Savoury waffle company Utter Waffle has been chosen by street food champions Kerb to take part in its three-month training programme.
The Colombian-inspired gluten-free business, which was co-founded by friends James Timmins and Julia Jefferis last year, was selected after being spotted by a scout who tried its food at a London market.
As part of Kerb’s incubator scheme, which gives early-stage food businesses with little experience the chance to accelerate their growth, Utter Waffle will trade at Kerb markets in West India Quay, Canary Wharf, King’s Cross and St Katherine’s Dock, three times a week.
The founders will also be mentored on topics from financing and service style to branding and have the option to become official Kerb traders if they successfully graduate.
“We’re super-excited to be involved,” said Jefferis. “For any street food vendor it’s what everybody aspires to. It’s a huge achievement for us and we hope Kerb’s big social media platform and channels will be awesome for coverage and exposure.”
Utter Waffle was conceived following the pair’s travels around South America where they discovered the presence of a “huge savoury crèpe culture”.
Jefferis’ personal experience of intolerances and Timmins’ experience of catering for professional tennis players at Wimbledon – many of whom are on special diets – also influenced their decision to produce only gluten-free waffles.
The vegan, vegetarian and meat-topped savoury creations cost £5 for half a portion and £7 for a main and are described as light and crispy.
Options on the menu include:
- My Big Fat Greek Vegan Waffle (Ve) – Roasted red pepper and thyme stuffed waffle topped with beetroot humous, coconut feta, olives and caramelised onion glaze
- The Vatican (V) – Fresh pesto and mozzarella stuffed waffle with tomatoes, olives, pine nuts and balsamic glaze
- Wanna Pizza Me? – Chorizo, pepperoni, tomato, passata and mozzarella stuffed waffle topped with basil mayonnaise and grana padano cheese.
Sweet Waffle Soldiers are also served for £5. They are:
- A Waffle a Day – Waffle soldiers dunked in cinnamon apple, cream, Biscoff crumble, fudge pieces and salted caramel
- When Life Gives You Waffles (Ve) – With fresh lemon juice and sugar
- Pop My Waffle – Waffle soldiers dunked in cherry compote, cream, milk and white chocolate & Belgian chocolate shavings.