The Village Bakery in Melmerby, Cumbria, has announced that it will package its bread range in biodegradable and compostable bags.

Lindsay Williams, Village Bakery marketing manager, said: "Our entire range is organic and we are working hard to make all our cardboard packaging recycled and recyclable, so we are delighted to now have compostable bread bags.

"It is a big step forward and will have a positive environmental effect," she added.

According to the organic bakery, the new bread packaging is made from Mater-bi film that will break down to carbon dioxide, water and organic humus with no toxic residue.

All of the Village Bakery packaging is currently being revamped. The new bread packaging communicates to customers that the bread bags are compostable while giving the range a fresh new look.

"The new bags will have greater on-shelf presence and will bring the bread bags in line with the rest of the new look," Williams added.

Two new breads will also be added to the company’s range: Honey and Sunflower Bread and Spelt Bread.

The Village Bakery in Melmerby produces a range of cakes, biscuits and breads. Products are baked using renewable energy and all cardboard packaging is recycled and recyclable.

According to the company, the boxes it uses are printed on 95% recycled board and the remaining 5% is made up of virgin fibres, which are sourced from a mill that supports responsible forest management.