A White Seeded Sourdough Loaf produced by Sussex-based Foodhaven has been declared Britain’s Best Loaf 2018.
Antony Brogden, head baker of the Newhaven business, collected the award at the Farm Shop & Deli Show at Birmingham’s NEC yesterday (16 April).
His bakery’s sourdough loaf was chosen as the standout winner from the award’s five categories: white, sourdough, innovation, wholegrain and gluten free.
Sponsored by Rank Hovis, the awards this year attracted a record number of more than 200 entries.
A panel of expert judges included 2017 Baking Industry Awards winners David Wright (Baker of the Year), Jessica Dalton (Rising Star), Paul Barker (Speciality Bakery Product) and Katie-Joy Woods (Customer Service).
This year’s full winners’ line-up is:
- Winner: Incredible Bitter and Aromatic Boule, Incredible Bakery Company
- Highly commended: Village Bakery Gluten Free 6 Super Seeded Sliced Loaf, Village Bakery
- Winner: Easter Bread, Joe’s Bakery
- Highly commended: Apple Sourdough, The Welbeck Bakehouse
- Winner: White Seeded Sourdough, Foodhaven
- Highly commended: Welbeck Sourdough, The Welbeck Bakehouse
- Winner: White Farm House Loaf, The Crusty Loaf
- Highly commended: Bakehouse Large White Loaf, The Bakehouse
- Winner: Small Country Grain, Luke Evans
- Highly commended: Small Wholemeal Tin, Joe’s Bakery