Shropshire-based Planet Doughnut is to open its first permanent site, in Shrewsbury.
Located at 24 Claremont Hill, the grand opening is due to take place on Friday 11 May, with opening hours 9am-4pm or until all the stock is sold.
Initially the shop will serve around 16 varieties of Planet Doughnut’s yeast-raised ring and round filled doughnuts, which take inspiration from sweet shop, American candy and summer flavours. Varieties include:
- Cherry Bakewell – cherry jam centre with marzipan-flavoured icing and almond slices
- Toffee Crisp Crunch – a toffee centre covered with fudge icing and crushed Toffee Crisp
- Reese’s Caramel – caramel icing covered in broken Reese’s Pieces
- Lemon Curd – dusted with icing sugar and filled with as much lemon curd as it can take
- Strawberry Cheesecake – filled with cream and strawberry ham and topped with strawberry icing and a biscuit crumb.
Standard doughnuts cost £2 and the premium range is £2.50, with multi-buy offers to encourage customers to try more than one flavour.
“We decided to open a shop as demand was growing,” owner Duncan McGregor told British Baker. “Our regulars would ask us every time when we were at farmers’ markets and we hope we have found a gap in the market for handcrafted doughnuts in Shrewsbury.”
Until now, the business has operated at farmers’ markets around the county, as well as local food festivals.
In the run-up to the opening, Planet Doughnut is running giveaways on social media, including the chance to win a gold card giving the recipient a free doughnut every month for a year.
Premium doughnuts are gaining pace in the UK, with the likes of Australia’s Doughnut Time expanding across London since opening in September last year.
For more information on the key flavours and trends on the UK doughnut scene, British Baker subscribers can read our feature here.