Reckon your loaf is a crust above the rest? Then make sure you enter the Britain’s Best Loaf 2021.
With a new date and venue for the event – sponsored by ADM, Food Paper and Lesaffre UK & Ireland – we’re offering Britain’s bakers a few more days to enter for their chance to secure the top title for their lovely loaves. The competition will now take place on Wednesday 7 July at British Baker’s headquarters in Broadfield Park, Crawley.
It costs £25+VAT per entry with six categories to choose from:
- Gluten Free: an open weight class but loaves must be made with gluten-free flour and gluten-free yeast
- Innovation: an open weight class and loaves can be made using any bread processing technique, but applicants must provide written details of why the product is innovative, how it was developed and include details of ingredients and processing
- Plain Sourdough: entrants will need to supply two 800g loaves made 100% by fermentation using naturally occurring lactobacillus or the capture of wild yeasts through a starter dough
- Sourdough with Other Ingredients: entrants will need to supply two 800g loaves made 100% by fermentation using naturally occurring lactobacillus or the capture of wild yeasts through a starter dough. It may also contain additional ingredients such as nuts, seeds, vegetables, and honey
- White: we need two standard 800g white loaves. They may be floured and/or cut or left plain before baking
- Wholegrain: two 400g loaves should be supplied. They can be made from any combination of grains such as barley, wholewheat, malted wheat, spelt or oats.
Each loaf will be judged by our panel of experts on its external appearance, internal structure, aroma, and taste to determine a winning and highly commended loaf in each category. Category winners will then battle it out for the ultimate accolade of Britain’s Best Loaf.
Because of this year’s circumstances, bakers do not need to deliver their loaves personally; they can courier them to the judging venue if preferred.
The closing date for entries is Thursday 24 June. To enter, or to find out more, visit BritainsBestLoaf.co.uk.