Warrens Bakery is tapping the trend for nostalgic flavours with its summer range, which includes a Traditional Cream Horn and Mirror Glaze Doughnuts.
The range features “classic British bakes all with an innovative twist”, according to Warrens, and draws on retro flavours and formats. Scottish ingredients manufacturer Macphie previously noted that nostalgic sweetshop flavours were growing in popularity, particularly among so-called ‘kidults’.
New items on Warrens Bakery summer menu include:
- Mirror Glaze Doughnuts: The four-strong range (rsp £1.75) comprises Cherry Drop, Sherbet Lemon, Raspberry Ripple and Chocolate Lime, with all variants covered in mirror glaze and finished with chocolate decorations.
- Traditional Cream Horn: Featuring puff pastry in a cone shape, dipped in chocolate and then hand-filled with cream and jam (rsp £1.50).
- Lemon and White Chocolate Giant Swiss Meringue: “Crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside” is how Warrens describes the latest addition to its meringue portfolio (rsp £2).
- Vanilla Slice: This childhood favourite consists of crisp, rough pastry sandwiched together with thick custard and hand-decorated with feather icing (rsp £1.50).
- Indulgent Belgian Bun: This traditional Belgian bun, complete with icing and cherry on top, also comes with a cream filling (rsp £1.80).
- Viennese Whirl: Two giant shortbread biscuits sandwiched together with cream and strawberry jam (rsp £1.50).
Alongside its new range, Warrens has launched Beach Hut Bakes – an online game, giving customers a chance to win money off and free treats from across its range. Customers have to match one of the three keys to the correct beach hut door to win.
The Cornish business has been expanding rapidly over past year, with new sites in Bicester, Oxfordshire and Ashford, Kent among those added to its portfolio.