This article will explore the development of breads that contain non-wheat in the UK and overseas, and look at what impact they could have in the future.
- Publication date: 11 February 2020
- Editorial submissions deadline: 23 January 2020
- Editorial contact: email@example.com
BUG BREAD: A fad or the future?
This article will look at the use of non-wheat flours in bread - the opportunities and challenges, and examples of their use. It will also explore the use of insect-based flours.
Key topics willinclude:
- What are the core non-wheat flours currently in use by baking industry for bread production?
- What are the key challenges around different types of non-wheat flour and how can these be overcome?
- How should a baker encourage consumers to try breads produced with non-wheat flours?
- What other non-wheat flours could rise prominence in the future?
- Do you feel there is a future for breads baked with insect flours such as cricket? Is this something your business has explored or may explore?
- What are the technical challenges in developing loaves containing insects as an ingredient?
- How can a business look to overcome negative consumer perception of insect-based food?
- What benefits can insects offer, other than added protein?